The UK’s best lightweight compact prams, buggies and strollers 2022
Finding the right stroller for you and your family can be a difficult task, especially if you aren’t sure what your priorities are. Of course, baby comfort and safety will always come first, but there are so many other considerations to be taken into account - how much do you value style? What is your budget? What are the specific demands of your lifestyle?
At Direct4Baby, we’re more than experienced in helping parents work out exactly the right stroller for them and, in this blog, we’re going to be giving advice on what stroller to buy if you’re a big traveller! Traveling parents, whether they find themselves jetting off on holiday, travelling around the country or filling their days with short and frequent trips around town, need a lightweight and compact stroller to suit their busy lifestyles.
Sound like you? Whether you’re a jet-setting parent or constantly taking trips up and down the UK, we’re here to provide some expert advice on what makes a truly good lightweight stroller, compact pushchair or travel buggy. Read on to see our list of the UK’s best lightweight prams and compact pushchairs for 2022. You might just find exactly the right small stroller for you!
What is the smallest Bugaboo pram?
Known for pushing the boundaries on traditional pushchair design, it’s no surprise that Bugaboo have a number of stylish, practical compact prams within their wider collection of pushchair designs. The smallest compact pram in the Bugaboo range is undoubtedly the Bugaboo Ant, which was released back in 2019. Ultra-compact and incredibly lightweight, the Bugaboo Ant was the best holiday buggy released in that year, but can it still claim that title?
Up against some stiff competition from Bugaboo’s latest compact stroller, the Bugaboo Bee 6, the Bugaboo Ant struggles to keep up with its slightly larger cousin in many important categories. While the Bugaboo Ant thrives as the lightest pram in their collection, and has an unrivalled compact fold, it falls down on convenience and practicality when compared to the new Bugaboo Bee 6. Not designed to give the luxury comfort provided by the Bugaboo Bee 6, and without the useful accessories that make travelling with a child easier day-to-day, the Ant is the best travel stroller for parents holidaying abroad, but is less suited to day-to-day travelling than the compact Bee 6.
What is the difference between Bugaboo Bee 5 and 6?
One of Bugaboo’s most popular lightweight stroller ranges, the Bugaboo Bee has seen multiple updates and upgrades over the years and the latest iteration, the Bugaboo Bee 6, benefits from a number of interesting features that set it apart from its predecessor, the Bugaboo Bee 5. We’ve already mentioned a few of these when looking at what makes the Bee 6 a suitable day-to-day compact pram for city-dwelling parents, but the full list of upgrades below goes to show just how superior this travel stroller really is.
- Weight: One of the most important factors to consider when looking for a lightweight pram, there is a difference of just over 1 lb between the Bee 5 and the Bee 6, with the former ranking as the most lightweight stroller of the two. This win does come at a cost, however, as the 20.7 lbs Bee 6 has an increased weight capacity of 50 lbs compared to the Bee 5’s 37.5 lbs. This means that the slightly heavier Bee 6 will remain suitable for your child for longer.
- Compact fold: What the Bugaboo Bee 5 and 6 models lack in weight, they make up for with their impressive compact fold. The Bugaboo Bee 5 has always been revered for its impressive fold, but it is still beaten by the simple improvements and clever upgrades on the Bee 6. With the addition of a self-stand accessory to the compact stroller, which keeps the compact pram upright when neatly folded away, the Bee 6 can be folded away as quickly and easily as the Bee 5, but without the additional hassle of trying to gently set it down without scratching the chassis.
- Manoeuvrability: Another convenient update for the Bee 6 compact pram is the wheels. Instead of the 6 inch hard rubber wheels of its predecessor, the updated Bee 6 has 7 inch PU tires with in-built independent four-wheel suspension.
- Safety and comfort: While it’s undoubtedly useful to have a compact pram that suits your needs as a busy, travelling parent, knowing there are certain features in place that protect your child and keep them comfortable is just as important. In the Bugaboo Bee 6, there are a number of improvements made for this purpose, with the canopy fabric upgraded to durable canvas with a ventilation panel and peekaboo window to improve airflow and visibility. On top of this, the fabric of the seat has been changed to a breathable mesh with ventilation holes up the back, making it the perfect travel pram for holidays in hot climates.
- Newborn carrycot: If you find yourself travelling with a newborn in tow, you’ll also be able to make the most of this compact buggy’s coordinating carrycot. Given similar improvements to the Bugaboo Bee 6’s seat, this baby bassinet has an improved ventilation system to increase the comfort of your little one. In order to make your life a little easier, Bugaboo have also made a few quality of life updates, raising the bassinet by 1.5 inches and making it easier to remove from the compact pram base, shortening the time it takes to collapse the holiday travel system when you’re on the go.
Overall, we can wholeheartedly recommend the Bugaboo Bee 6. Offering travelling parents complete confidence that their compact pram can go wherever they go, the Bugaboo Bee 6 has plenty of additional features that will merit the additional spend.
Is the Babyzen YoYo worth the money?
While we at Direct4Baby love the Babyzen YoYo², and have been impressed by the innate style of this versatile lightweight stroller since its original release, whether it’s worth the money is entirely dependent on the personal priorities of the parent. For example, the Babyzen YoYo² is perfect for parents looking for an incredibly lightweight pram to take with them abroad, on long and frequent car journeys and on the bus, but it does require an additional purchase in order to increase age suitability to include the first 6 months of your newborn’s life.
Sometimes, a compact pram just doesn’t have the same stand-out ‘look’ as a standard stroller as, in an attempt to design an easily foldable, ultra lightweight pram, designers often choose to sacrifice style and sophistication in favour of practicality. Thankfully, Babyzen has bucked this trend with the YOYO² 6+ Stroller which, with a lightweight frame of just 6.1kg, achieves manoeuvrability without losing any style points. This adaptable compact buggy is long lasting and, with high quality materials, will last for generations.
Which stroller can I take on the plane?
If you take your little ones on adventures all over the world, having a suitably lightweight and compact pram to take abroad with you is vital. Of course, many airlines will allow you to store larger prams as check-in luggage, but if you’re looking for the ultimate convenience through the airport and on the plane, choosing a carry-on travel stroller such as the Silver Cross Jet Compact Stroller and the Baby Jogger City Tour 2 Compact Stroller are your best options.
One of the most impressive releases in 2021, not only does this new generation of the Jet stroller benefit from all the incredible features of its predecessor, the Silver Cross Special Edition Jet Stroller, but it is even more lightweight at only 5.9kg, compared to the previous 6.2kg. The compact folding system allows this pram to be folded away and stored as cabin luggage within the overhead compartments available on most major airlines and, with a handy cover to keep it protected, you’ll arrive at your destination without a scratch.
This updated version of the Silver Cross Jet takes comfort and manoeuvrability one step further, with wider front wheels providing increased suspension, allowing you to tackle any surface you may be faced with on your travels. An improved ergonomic seat is also new to this model, ensuring your baby will remain comfortable on every single journey. On top of this, the pram itself is incredibly comfortable with a multi-position reclining backrest and features a fully extendable UPF50+ hood, an air-flow ventilation system and a pop-out sun visor so, wherever you’re jetting off to, your baby will be fully safe and protected.
Another great option for travelling is the Baby Jogger City Tour 2. This foldable compact stroller has been redesigned with newborns in mind, and now features an infant car seat connection and carrycot compatibility, perfect for new parents who are keen travellers. And, the super compact one-hand fold and included carry bag make it another ideal stroller to bring on a plane, train or even boat.
Following this, with a weight of 6.5kg, it still maintains its lightweight frame, as well as featuring multiple recline positions, including a near-flat recline, a UV 50+ canopy and padded seat, all added to keep your infant as comfortable as possible, no matter where your adventures take you.
What’s the smallest pram in 2022?
If you’re looking for the most lightweight pram on the market, with an unparalleled folding system that still offers practicality and style, look no further than the lightweight Cybex Libelle Compact Stroller.
Perfect for on-the-move parents, especially those that live a busy life in the city, the Cybex Libelle Compact Stroller is built for comfort, convenience and, above all, transportability. With its ultra lightweight frame, this space-saving stroller weighs only 5.9kg and features one of the most compact stroller folds on the market, making it incredibly fast and easy to fold and lift into the boot of a car for journeys, or onto public transport. For parents travelling abroad, the folded chassis is airplane hand luggage compliant, making holidays by plane child’s play.
Beyond these incredible features, which have earned it its place on our list of lightweight strollers, this compact pram features smooth front-wheel suspension, which makes for a bump-free ride, ensuring your child is as comfortable at all times during your adventures.
What is the most compact stroller?
If your priority lies with the compact and convenient fold more than the weight of a pram, then we can certainly recommend a few compact prams to add to your list of top contenders. Already, we’ve seen the super compact Silver Cross Jet, Cybex Libelle and Baby Jogger City Tour 2 Stroller, but if you’re looking for a strong all-rounder that remains super compact and easy to fold, considering the iCandy Lime Lifestyle compact pushchair is also worthwhile.
Not the most lightweight stroller on the market, but the speciality of the iCandy Lime Lifestyle Pushchair is its incredibly quick and compact folding system. The TotalFold folding system allows parents to effortlessly convert their pushchair into its compact form, which is small enough to transfer easily into the boot of a car, to move onto public transport or into a convenient storage compartment on a train.
Functioning as a super transportable and compact travel system, the iCandy Lime Lifestyle includes the seat unit and carrycot which, together, gives you suitability from birth all the way to 25kg! This long lifespan means this is a stroller that will last you for years to come and, with all the extras such as a convenient changing bag, raincover, large shopping basket and more, this compact stroller certainly has a lot to give.
Find lightweight prams and compact strollers for 2022 at Direct4Baby
At Direct4Baby, we have a wide range of the latest lightweight pushchairs so, if you’re looking for the perfect compact stroller for travelling or getting from A to B with ease, we’re sure we have exactly the right one for you.
Still not sure which stroller is best for you? Browse through our full range of compact prams and travel systems and filter by price, colour and weight limit to find the best fit for your family.